Explainer videos are widely used across the industry. They are said to be the most clickable and viewed videos on social media platforms.
Having an explainer video on the website increases the time spent by people on the page. Moreover, it improves the average watch time of the content used on a particular page.
Thus, making sure that your amazing content is understood by the viewer.
Let’s dive in to know, how to create an explainer video and where to use it for maximum effect?
1. What are explainer videos?
In simple words, explainer videos are the videos that explain the product, service or business is very easy to understand and quick way.
The effective time duration for an explainer video is from 60 to 90 seconds.
2. Why are explainer videos widely used?
2 reasons. First, they are short and easy to understand. Second, marketers and customers both found them effective to learn from.
3. How to make an explainer video?
Explainer video follows the general 3 phase process of video creation. The pre-production part, production part, and the post-production part.
Following this process is very necessary to be in the right direction. Consequently, to make the video effective without losing time, energy, and cost.
1) Research for the topic of the video.
2) Clarify your target audience.
3) Decide where the video is going to be uploaded and what are its dimensions?
Here dimensions mean the aspect ratio. Whether you are uploading a square video (aspect ratio 1:1), a horizontal video (aspect ratio 16:9), or vertical video (aspect ratio 9:16). An easy way to determine this is by deciding where are you putting your video. If you are putting on the website, YouTube, Vimeo, etc, go for horizontal aspect ratio video. If you are putting on Instagram IGTV, Facebook, Instagram stories, or WhatsApp status, prefer vertical video. For Instagram, Facebook, or LinkedIn feed, prefer square video.
1) Write a script keeping the tone that would be accepted by your target audience. For eg: If your business is B2C its best to keep a conversational tone of the script.
2) Create fast rough sketches in your storyboard to see the flow of the script, camera angles, characters, etc. Refine the script if needed.
3) Once the script is finalized, send it for voice-over. Simultaneously create a final storyboard with style frames. Decide the color, designs, characters, expressions at this stage.
4) As the style framed storyboard is finalized, move onto the animation. Take the voice-over and create an animation set on its time.
5) Add complimenting music and additional sound effects.
6) Add captions (if you want closed captions)
1) Render out the project in a suitable video format.
2) Convert it to a suitable size if required.
3) Upload/ Embed it to the required channels
4) Write appropriate descriptions, titles for the video.
5) Add proper keywords and tags for maximum reach.
4. Points to remember while making an explainer video
1) Define 1 clear message for the video.
2) Define 1 clear action you want from people after watching the video.
3) Create captions for the video. (Separate or burnt)
4) Add at least 1 relevant keyword in the title and first 2 lines of the description.
5. Where to use explainer videos for maximum impact?
1) Over or above the fold on your website
2) In email signatures
3) Facebook page cover
4) Linkedin, Facebook, youtube, Instagram, Vimeo, etc organic feed
5) Paid to advertise
6) In pitch events
7) Sending pitch to clients along with your pitch video
6. How to measure their impact? Or what to expect from explainer videos?
1) Increase in traffic when used on the website
2) Rerouting traffic from social media pages to the website
3) Action on the paid marketing campaign
4) A better understanding of your business in pitching
7. What is the turn around time for an explainer?
It may vary for different production houses. However, it generally takes around 3 to 5 weeks to create one from scratch.